Secrets from the Black Star Co-op Kitchen: Buttermilk Bicuits
Hey, check this out—we’re sharing some of our coveted Co-op kitchen secrets! We’re risking our own financial security by gifting you the recipes to some of our most valuable intellectual assets, so make the most of it! Biscuits, biscuits for everyone!
Vinny’s Buttermilk Biscuits
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 15min Yield: 18 biscuits
8 cups flour
4 tbls baking powder
4 tsp salt
4 tbls sugar
304 g butter
4 cups of buttermilk
1. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, combine well.
2. Weigh out your butter with a scale and grate with a cheese grater. Gently toss the butter in with the dry ingredients. Make sure not to overwork it, you want to keep the butter from melting.
3. Make a small well in the center of the ingredients and add the buttermilk slowly. Then mix with a spatula to avoid melting the butter with the heat from your hands.
4. Cover a large flat surface with flour, and place your dough in the center (it will still be fairly moist at this point). Dust flour on top and begin to knead—about 10-15 times.
5. Roll out your dough to about 3/4” thick. We use a 4” circle cutter for my biscuits.
6. Place biscuits on a non-greased sheet tray with NO parchment paper.
7. Place biscuits in the fridge and cool for 10 min while oven comes up to 425°.
8. Bake for 12 min then remove from the oven, brush melted butter on over the tops of your biscuits, then bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Ta-da, biscuits! Now do right by the recipe and drown them in your favorite fatty morning proteins.
Worship at the alter of BREAKFAST FOR DINNER.