Happy new year, Brew Crew! This edition of "Secrets from the Black Star Kitchen" will disclose the house recipe for black eyed peas—which are instrumental in locking down your good luck for the year. Though, you're supposed to eat them on New Year's Day, which has already passed... Regardless, here ya go:
0. Prepare your ingredients.
1. Using cheese cloth and kitchen twine, tie the bay and thyme into a sachet.
2. Cook the lardon in a heavy-bottomed soup pot until the oil has released and the lardon begins to brown.
3. Sweat the onions, carrots, and celery in the lardon until the vegetables release their juices and the onions become translucent.
4. Deglaze with High Esteem (or another golden ale), scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
5. Add the peas, jalapeños, and herb sachet, and stir to incorporate.
6. Add the chicken stock and simmer until tender.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ta-dah! Good tidings to all!