This is a recipe straight from Grandma's kitchen—the mythological southern grandma that we as Americans share (though some were lucky enough to have the real thing). It's a simple, cheap, delicious recipe that will allow you to keep cornbread in the house pretty much forever.
Southern Style Cornbread
2 cup Cornmeal
1.5 cup Buttermilk
1.5 tbsp of Baking Powder
.5 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 Serrano Pepper
.5 cup Sugar
.5 cup Canola Oil
0. Pre-heat the oven to 450°.
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Combine all wet ingredients separately.
3. Preheat the cast iron pan with butter.
4. Combine both wet and dry ingredients until just together—you don't want to overwork it.
5. Pour mixed ingredients into the hot cast iron pan and bake at 450°f for 20-25 minutes.
And, voilà, the finished product: